Email is an great communications tool for business. It provides quick communications, doesn't have a set time for operation, and allows you to work from almost anywhere in the world. With all the great conveniences it also can create problems for you. Primarily an overflowing inbox that is difficult to find important emails in a hurry.
Here is a step-by-step exercise for you to improve your use of your work email:
1. Create an inbox email folder. Name it "Inbox2"
2. Move all emails from your primary inbox that are 3 days old and older to the new folder Inbox2.
3. Get a piece of paper and write out categories of the typical emails you get on a weekly basis. These are broad categories. Here are a few examples: Expenses; Bills; Business Prospects; Customers. Depending on your business you may have categories such as: Orders; Forms; Legal. Keep your list of categories to 12 or less and avoid "Miscellaneous" as a category.
4. Using your list of categories, create sub-folders in your inbox using the category names. Go through the emails in your Inbox2 folder and move/drag them to the appropriate categories. For the emails that don't fit any category? Delete them. If you just can't bring yourself to delete an email, create an "Archive" folder and put those un-categorized emails there.
5. Most Important Step!!! Twice everyday, once in the morning and once near the end of your day, go through your main Inbox and categorize your emails by moving them in to the appropriate category sub-folders you created. If you do this everyday you will reduce the emails in your inbox to nothing.
By following these steps you will reduce the size of your inbox. Reducing the number of emails in your inbox will make you better organized, increase your ability to respond to customers, and make you feel better!
If you want more watch this youtube video by Merlin Mann that was presented to Google.
Follow us on twitter for new articles
Holmes-Tech LLC. All rights reserved.
950 Eagles Landing Pkwy, Suite 422
Stockbridge, GA 30281